20 October 2005

Bad News for Cancun

If you had asked me Tuesday night if a hurricane could intensify by 50 millibars in 8 hours, I would have probably laughed. Thirty or even forty perhaps..but even that would be stretching it.

So there I set in bed in the early morning hours of Wednesday..my WiFi laptop in front of me and my wife sound asleep beside me. I decided to see if there was a new recon report on Wilma. There was. 901 millibars. I literally fell out of bed, tripping over the covers to get to my desk top computer.

This kind of thing just does not happen. Except this year.

Now the question is where will it go. Cancun is a high probability but after that the models guidance is all over the place. The good news is that if it makes it into the Gulf it will likely weaken due to the strong winds aloft. It is October now and the westerlys are increasing over the Northen Hemisphere.

If this thing crosses South Florida the condos in Naples will do ok. The worst damage will likley be on the East coast where all the people are and where there are many neighboorhoods that are not built to withstand these kind of winds. Let's hope that it will weaken greatly by the time it makes Florida...IF it makes it to Florida.

Dan