15 May 2005

Ice Ages and A Good Read

My last blog was the beginning of several I plan writing about climate and climate change. Many thanks to those of you who emailed. Nice to know I am not the only one interested in this stuff!

Have you ever driven through a highway cut and noticed the interesting layers of rocks. Not only are there different colors but you can sometimes see faults and the rocks are tilted at incredible angles. There is an excellent book that will explain what your seeing. It was written by a Geology professor at the Univ. of North Alabama. (I have an autographed copy!)

Even if your reading this in another part of the world..This book is just excellent. You will never look at rocks the same way again, I promise!
The book is
LOST WORLDS IN ALABAMA ROCKS
by Jim Lacefield
ISBN: 0970308000


There is an historical marker near my house that talks about an event of 150 years ago. Nearby is a bed of limestone that was laid down 350 million years ago when Alabama was under a warm tropical ocean. (In that layer are fossils of shark teeth from giant prehistoric sharks) No historical marker for that!

More on climate change tomorrow...

Later,
Dan