05 December 2005

Snow and Rumors of Snow

Snow is the toughest of all forecasts to make. Especially around here since people are not used to dealing with it and it seems to play havoc. I learned a lesson about forecasting snow in Alabama when I first moved here. I mentioned on air that we could see a heavy dusting of snow. Minutes later the phone rang in the weather office and it was a school superintendent telling me they were canceling school tomorrow.

"It hasn't even started yet!" I said but it did not matter.
Now growing up in Oklahoma, if we had 4-6 inches there was a decent chance that school was out for the day. Not they sure as heck did not cancel it before it started!

One of my most frequent questions is "when are we going to get some real snow?". Fact is, we do not live in a snow belt and while we do get a good snow every 5 years or so, it does not happen every winter. This is sad because I absolutely love snow. More than once , I have taken the family on a winter vacation to Canada where it was -29C with a foot on the ground.

My daughter probably said it best. "I like snow but I'm not crazy enough to seek it out!
Well I am!

I have a lot of holiday time left for the year and I am going to spend it in the Canadian Rockies. So if you turn on the TV and JP is working in the evenings, you will know I am up in the Great White North, enjoying the snow.

Which around here is the one sure way of seeing it!

Later,
Dan